Addressing the connection between rampant human population growth, overconsumption, and the wildlife extinction crisis.
ABOUT OUR POPULATION AND SUSTAINABILITY WORK
Human population growth and overconsumption are at the root of our most pressing environmental problems, including the wildlife extinction crisis, habitat loss and climate change. To save wildlife and wild places, we use creative media, advocacy and public outreach to raise awareness about runaway human population growth and unsustainable consumption — and their close link to the endangerment of other species.
Our innovative campaigns — like our award-winning Endangered Species Condoms project — focus on common-sense solutions for a just and sustainable future, including the empowerment of women and girls, universal access to reproductive healthcare and education, a healthy and secure food system, clean energy and a societal commitment to giving all species a chance to live and thrive.
For latest news and campaigns, sign-up for Pop X, our free monthly e-newsletter.
- Distributed more than half a million Endangered Species Condoms across all 50 U.S. states.
- Created the first full-time program by a major environmental group, Take Extinction Off Your Plate, addressing the devastating impact of the meat industry on wildlife.
- Inspired more than 20,000 people to sign our “Earth-friendly Diet” pledge to reduce their meat consumption as a way to protect the planet and take extinction off their plates.
- Helped drive a national conversation about the need to address sustainability in federal dietary guidelines.
- Launched Wild Energy, the Center for Biological Diversity's vision for a renewable energy future that addresses climate change while protecting sensitive wildlife and habitats.