Media Advisory, March 14, 2016
||Carson Barylak, (202) 536-1910, firstname.lastname@example.org
Lia Cheek, (617) 840-4983, email@example.com
Maggie Caldwell, (415) 217-2084, firstname.lastname@example.org
Chandler Clay, (202) 572-3312, email@example.com
Virginia Cramer, (804) 519-8449, Virginia.firstname.lastname@example.org
Melanie Gade, email@example.com
Amey Owen, (202) 446-2128, firstname.lastname@example.org
Jamie Pang, (858) 699-4153, email@example.com
Seth Stein, (202) 454-4573, firstname.lastname@example.org
Rodi Rosensweig Zimmerman, (203) 270-8929, TheRodiCompany@gmail.com
Eight Members of Congress to Be Honored for Work Defending
Endangered Species Act Against Legislative Attacks
Awardees, Former Interior Secretary Bruce Babbitt, Conservation Group CEOs to
Discuss Importance of Fending Off Ongoing Attacks on Act, Protected Species
WHEN: Wednesday, March 16, 2016, 5:30 p.m. – 8 p.m. EST
WHERE: Credit Union House, 403 C Street NE, Washington, D.C. 20002
- Sen. Cory Booker (D-N.J.), Member of the Senate Environment & Public Works Committee
- Sen. Barbara Boxer (D-Calif.), Ranking Member of the Senate Environment & Public Works Committee
- Sen. Tom Udall (D-N.M.), Ranking Member of the Senate Appropriations Subcommittee on Interior, Environment, and Related Agencies
- Sen. Sheldon Whitehouse (D-R.I.), Ranking Member of the Environment & Public Works Subcommittee on Fisheries, Water, and Wildlife
- Rep. Don Beyer (D-Va.), Member of the House Natural Resources Committee
- Rep. Raúl Grijalva (D-Ariz.), Ranking Member of the House Natural Resources Committee
- Rep. Betty McCollum (D-Minn.), Ranking Member of the House Appropriations Subcommittee on Interior, Environment, and Related Agencies
- Rep. Niki Tsongas (D-Mass.), Member of the House Natural Resources Committee
- Bruce Babbitt, Former Secretary of the Interior
- Dan Ashe, Director of the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service
RSVP Online here (credentials needed for entry).
Eight members of Congress will be honored Wednesday night as champions of the Endangered Species Act, which has relied on science and prevented the extinction of 99 percent of protected plant and animal species. The event is hosted by more than a dozen national conservation and science groups in partnership with former Secretary of the Interior Bruce Babbitt. The ceremony comes amid unprecedented legislative attacks on the Act in Congress — including nearly 100 over the past year.
Each of the awardees to be recognized has shown noteworthy leadership in preserving the integrity of the act and defending imperiled wildlife against legislative attacks.
Secretary Babbitt, Director Ashe and award recipients will deliver remarks. Light refreshments will be provided.
This event is sponsored by: Animal Welfare Institute, Audubon, Born Free USA, Center for Biological Diversity, Defenders of Wildlife, Earthjustice, Endangered Species Coalition, Environmental Defense Fund, International Fund for Animal Welfare, League of Conservation Voters, Native Plant Conservation Campaign, Natural Resources Defense Council, Sierra Club, Union of Concerned Scientists, WildEarth Guardians, Wildlands Network