No. 287, June 1, 2023
Hello Revelator readers,
Can AI chatbots help fight species extinction? We decided to find out.
New research shows we’ve long underestimated the environmental benefits from kelp forests. Now these important ecosystems are threatened.
Sometimes the best wisdom on how to protect the planet comes from books on other subjects. Here are four new reads on capitalism, misinformation, inequality and corruption.
From the archives:
Many coral reefs face grave threats. Life on the Rocks chronicles the search for solutions and the science that’s driving “nuggets of hope.”
Subscriber bonus: The Wild 5
Here are five more stories we’re watching this week.
1. US Says Mexico Failed to Stop Illegal Wildlife Trade Threatening Vaquita (Reuters)
2. Sackett, West Virginia and the Judicial Strategy to Gut the EPA (Drilled News)
3. Tribes Call on Haaland to Push Increased Protections for the Grand Canyon (Grist)
4. As India’s Electrical Grid Strains, Rural Hospitals and Clinics Find Reliable Power in Rooftop Solar (AP)
5. ‘All I See Are Ghosts’: Fear and Fury as the Last Spotted Owl in Canada Fights for Survival (The Guardian)
Share your stories:
Do you live in or near a threatened habitat or community, or have you worked to study or protect endangered wildlife? You’re invited to share your stories in our ongoing features Protect This Place and Species Spotlight.
What should we cover next?
Our stories rely on insight from experts, frontline activists and readers around the world — especially these days, when so much seems to be happening so fast. We want to hear from you, so please drop us a line anytime.
We’ll hear from a researcher just back from Antarctica about the beauty and fragility of the icy continent.
As always, thank you for reading. Stay safe and connected.